Friday 12 March 2021

59 to 60 a year long blog part 1

,
Well hello and well come to a year of hopefully fun and bit of adventure if we ever get out of lockdown that is. Today is 04/03/2021 and I turn 59 ..... phew how did that happen? So I thought I would start a year long blog in the hope that it helps me remember things I have done on build up to the big 60 oh ya beggar πŸ˜€ ah well as I have always said it is just a number and we have to just get on with living it to the full get out there and enjoy as much as possible. So midnight last night I decided to open presents and what a great way to start a birthday lots of nice things mmm bottle of port was nice surprise not had port in a while, lots of sweeties aye am a lover of sweet things mmmm why I should have taken care of my teeth when I was younger those penny dainties sure took there toll πŸ˜‹ but I am lucky as I do get a lot of presents. From Helen my wife well she spent some time making me a special birthday card, I am a cyclist I love getting out I love watching cycling on tv especially the Tour De France which I have also cycled in mmmm aye a week before the pros but hey still did it. The card is so special as they all are of course but this one bit more see picture
It is the Flamme Rouge and of course sunflowers and the bikes how cool is that I’m well impressed she really has a talent for this I wonder what my 60th will look like 😎 as well as this she has given me HD Monoculars and two bottles of my favourite red wine Baron De Ley and lots of sweeties of course hey but I still had to make her breakfast in bed eah what’s all that about? So onto the day and not much planned mmm well everything is closed nae pubs or restaurants open but I have a feeling that a Bombay Jo’s curry may be had tonight as if things were open think my choice would be to go there for my birthday meal as I love there curry. So currently sitting in my wee room listening to some vinyl Queen live killers looking out to what looks like a cold and very windy day wondering what to do but it may involve a costa coffee and some cake.  Lots of nice friends wishing me happy birthday 
/

These two lassies are the maddest funniest and supportive girls I have met and are full of life I love em to bits they are my work colleagues but are my friends they have stayed in touch with me and always ask for Helen and how she is doing, every night out they are just out to have fun mmmm but I must admit there crazy when drunk πŸ˜‚ really they remind me of a young Ged which is lost a bit now but they are a special bit of my life.

Another cool photo From my niece Teresa who has gone through lots as well but strong and fights on.


Debbie my niece who has been a massive help to me and Helen she has had a lot to go through but every time I see her she has a smile on her face and is another party girl she is as beautiful as her uncle πŸ˜‚ she has such a special place in my heart I love all my nieces but Debs well she knows. πŸ’–

So off out for cake and coffee this shall continue later. 
Coffee and fudge donut was braw although was not a costa coffee as no waiting in line. Did wee bit of shopping as lets face it not much else to do and ordered my Bombay jo’s byriani for 1830 mmmm can’t wait, this shall be topped of with a bottle of fizz later tonight to see out my 59th birthday.



                                                                    05/03/2021

Good day today started off with a very light breakfast as last nights curry was having fun in my belly πŸ˜‚ big time fun, so was toast to start, then was off out to try and burn some of that curry and fizz off so 20mile cycle to start which was good but still very cold. Was not most exciting cycle kind of made up as I went along and only short one as hoping for bit longer run tomorrow just building up the miles. Sun did eventually come out and couple of good photos were taken, some horses came across when I stopped to take in some water but unfortunately never had anything to give them.

Was a friendly horse and enjoyed getting its ear rubbed. So was back home early so we (Helen) decided to go up to Monikie for a walk and thought I’d try out my new monocular which is really good and easy to carry about with you so was good present from H, so was walk around the reservoir and then well we took tea and cakes so sat in car and had break, I don’t mind sitting in car and having bite to eat but god wish restaurants would open soon.



So back home as not much else to do no pubs to go and have a sneaky beer or two bugger 12 days off and no where to go. Bit of music on rock playlist from Spotify one I made up, always been a lover of heavy metal probably the reason I have tinnitus seeing the likes of MotΓΆrhead, Kiss, Sabbath and purple live and lots more. Ok today was good but bring back the adventures of getting out to mountains further bike rides and the excitement of following my team Dundee United.
                                                                      
                                                                           06/03/2021



Well today saw me do a 35 mile cycle as when woke up could not resist the start to a sunny day. I know sit with a cold beer and listening to the fitba on the radio. Good day but straight forward cycle, home, shower and beer. Been strange day starting off really sunny but now as i look out the window it is grey and the mist has come down and still very cold , but cycle today was enjoyable but did begin to feel bit of pain in my hip before end but I as have always said will push on through the pain ( when I can) . It is strange having so much time off but not having much to do as tonight probably would have been one of these nights where I would have met few friends for few drinks but as we know that’s not possible at moment so will be few drinks with Helen tonight which is grand.
                                                              One of Helens photos

So not much else to report today just say that sun was shining and were all getting through this awful Covid and lockdown so we must stick with it and just push on. SOAR ALBA.

                                                                  Sunday 07/03/2021
Well day of rest today hip still bit sore but will push on, one of reasons for this blog is to help me with few things especially my spelling and trying to remember things and help with my concentration. It wont be done every day as of course I will be back at work next week so will do it when time is on my side. So 12 noon is kick off time for my team Dundee United hard game against Celtic hoping to get something from this game today its a big hope as we will either go out and win 1-0 or get beat 4-0 it is hard to tell with this team. As for the rest of this day well not sure we shall take it as it comes.

So ended up a 0-0 Draw today. Nothing else to report home after a coffee and bit shopping mmm it’s the new day out 🍻.

                                                                          08/03/2021
Well hello, 
Today i sit thinking how do you do a blog when your in lockdown? Days like today when my hip is still bit sore so may stay off the bike, also was thinking of walk somewhere but rain is onπŸ’§i mean come on i need something to right about. Well i am waiting for my bike back from spokes i suppose that will be the excitement for today. So i shall look back on few things today and also wee bit about what the day brings. Below is a video i hope it plays as i would like to include few videos on here. 
                                                 Loch Katrina cruise on the Sir Walter Scott 
Video from couple years ago beautiful here lovely lodges to stay in, plenty of walks and yes you can have a wee cruise as well it is one of my favourite places and hope to go back and take my bike. You can take the boat to one end of the loch and cycle back or you can cycle both ways it is a great place and well worth a visit.
Back to today and not much else to say really was out searching to see if i can get Mogwai new vinyl from couple of shops but still no luck. But did take a photo whoopie.
Panmuirfield this morning was up there for walk but grey day so not much photo opportunity. So now sit here listening to the dodefox podcast about the most famous Dundee United a team since i have supported since the early 70s and gone through some great times but has to be said some awful times but that what being an Arab is all about. Same with my music taste my favourite era is still the 70s my first album ever bought was Kiss alive 2 which i still have to this day and still play and have to say getting back into vinyl as still have some from when was growing up including my Pink Floyd Dark side of moon man that album has stood the test of time.


The original album this photo was taken just before i went to see the farewell tour this would be the 5th time I’ve seen them, i waited for years to see Kiss and first time i seen them it was unmasked but was still great show and last it was full make up and full show fireworks and all it was pretty awesome and of course some great photos, my mum bought me this for Christmas from shop called Arnnotts poor maw having to ask for this album but she knew how much i wanted it i was so much into them my wall was covered in posters πŸ˜„ and probably got me into heavy metal as most of stuff i bought from that day onwards was loud. So not much about today as it was a quiet one as most are these days.

                                                                 09/03/2021

Monday and went to kip with sore arm and have woken with same pain so phone doctors later as today Helen has a consultant appointment and I know it is a nervous kind of day for not just her but myself as well but she was phoned yesterday asked if it would be ok for a phone consultation but she has a few questions she wants to ask, but were of the mind that if the consultant was going to do it over the phone then all should be ok πŸ‘Œ
Again not much to do today last of my days off back to work tomorrow, i have been enjoying my job i am working in Perth at the moment nice crowd to work with but so is Dundee. But i shall not do much today was wanting out on my bike but due to my arm being sore i have decided a couple of Days’s rest may be the best thing and i am half day Thursday and off Friday so plenty of options for couple cycle runs. 


Photo of myself up Ben Starav few years ago great day this was up with mate Kenny who i met while in Peru trekking and we’ve kept in touch all these years and did lot of hills together and drank a lot of whisky as well and i mean a lot, we have been lucky to meet all his family down in Ayrshire and have shared some great and funny times. Best mate and i wish he and they stayed closer as a lot has happened and with lockdown we could not be there for them which is a pity.
                                             Me in the middle Ken to the right and Dave on left
Through this blog i shall of course look back on things that I have done and achieved especially at the moment but it was part of this year long blog as well and today will end the first part and here is hoping it ends on a good note. Snow well what can i say i am a winter kind of person and have enjoyed many winter walks and one of my favourite parts of Scotland is Glencoe i love it there a weekend away in winter and if lucky enough to have snow and clear mountain day then that’s just magical, love to get out early have a climb or a long walk then at night head to the Clachaig hotel for some drinks and bit of music and food as well oh they do have a great range of whisky and now gin as well. Of course this has not happened since we have been caged in but hoping the end of this year will see me back there.



                                                       From some recent visits to Glencoe.
So just back from hospital and all good news for Helen and she Is bit more relaxed as am i. So not much else to say for today and next couple of days back at work, thing i say about work is it gets me out the house and well I travel to Perth so in some ways nothing has changed on that side for me. 
Some easing today of lockdown and we can meet with some people from other households so at least that is a start may be able to get out for wee group ride and if it is sunny meet with brother and few mates in a garden for few ales which would be good.


                                                         Oh to be. Out with the guys again.
                                                                          
                                                                        11/03/2021

So first couple of days back at work which has gone well and today managed to get finished at 13-00, and today we also had a wee surprise for one off the nurses who turns 40 on Monday she was given early presents and one massive cheese cake which i had a chunk off at 9-30 and i kid you not I haven’t eaten anything else since it was bloody lovely but very sweet, but it was nice to see everyone laughing in what has been a tough year for all my work colleagues and of course nurses, care assistants and all front line workers. But in my job i have watched nurses and technicians leave to go to a COVID ward and deal with things that although it is our job they probably thought like me we would never have to deal with anything like this, but I’ve seen them leave worried and have had to wear full ppe for the time there up there and come back exhausted and still of course worried. The first wave was bad enough but i think it is fair to say the second

wave really hit hard and the amount of patients we lost was scary and sad and hard for us all and all i can say is there the best of the best every one of them they are real hero’s working tirelessly to help everyone get through this and i for one take my hat off to them all.




,

. '
                          This rainbow appeared over COVID unit not long after clap for nhs started
But as you can see from some of the photos its a strong unit a good bond and we all worked together as we still do to get through this and maybe when things are back to some normality i may wright more on this.
                                                               
                                                                     12/03/2021
Well woke this morning not feeling to bad and looked outside sun was shining and it did not look to windy so my thought for the morning would be a quick breakfast and then out for a 20-25 mile cycle, so cycle gear on and off i went on Felt today as ribble still in spokes for some repairs, started as usual from house and cycle out was great did feel a bit tail wind but thought nothing of it until i turned back into it and all i can say it was brutal, trees were not blowing about but man it was pushing against me with bit of force and was cross winds as well.


So after12miles decided to call it a shorter cycle as although I don’t mind going out in the wind or rain this was just a struggle against the wind but hey was not a bad day at least i got 12miles and hope for better run on Sunday the next day i am off. So rest of the day will be going to shop and getting something to put at mums grave for Mother’s Day.




So back from being out and first thing i thought i would do is shave my eye brows oooo bloody hell shaved half off as forgot to put guard on πŸ˜‚ oh well. Bought mum pot of flowers plan to take them round on Sunday. She was a great women worked hard all her life she was a nurse amongst other things, she split with dad so brought 7 of us up on her own and did a damn fine job although I’m sure we put her through hell at times but mainly although times were hard mum always made sure there was food on the table and we had clothes on our backs, and one of the reason i do my nhs job now is down to mum. I often think back to my mum and dad having 7 kids my dad liked the drink and my mum never really drank mmm sherry sometimes but they must have loved one another at sometime and dad used to come back and stay but then pay would come in and off he would be again, he was a nurse as well Ashludie hospital mum was Strathmartine hospital and from what i know they both went through there courses together and when they were married it was Valentine’s Day so they must have been very much in love these days.





Unfortunately and quite sad i suppose but I can’t find any photos of dad but sure i have couple some where so may add them later. The bottom one mmm well that’s John on left and of course me with a feather cut. I will add more as do have couple of mum when she was very young sitting playing the piano.

So here ends part 1 and i know not the most exciting blog but well there is not much going on at the moment but hopefully as this blogs go on things will start to ease with lockdown and bit of normality will come back.
Ged



No comments:

Post a Comment